Exploring Hanoi
We met up with Cathy and Sandy, and Amy and Adam this
morning, and set out to explore Hanoi.
The craziest thing here is crossing the street. There are very few stoplights, and each
street is full of cars, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, electric vehicles, and
other assorted moving things. Crossing
seems utterly impossible. We've already
taken instruction on various techniques.
One says cross after the cars but before the motorcycles. Another says just walk straight at a steady
rate. Apparently that way the scooters
can judge where you'll be and avoid you, whereas if you dash or dawdle, they
might misjudge. Another theory says that
the right of way belongs to the larger of the two vehicles … this seems very
true. I found it terrifying. I now plan my routes around which way I can
go crossing the fewest streets.
We started at the history museum. First we saw the ancient section – lots of
bronze drums. Then we saw the modern
section. The modern history of Vietnam
appears to be
occupation-revolution-liberation-occupation-revolution-liberation, etc. I will admit that it is odd to read about the
American "aggressors", "imperialists", "invaders"
and so on. However, since my earliest
political memories are about protesting the Vietnam war, I can't say that I
disagreed very much with their depiction.
We then headed over to the Hoam Kien Lake in the center of
Hanoi. We checked out the Buddhist
temple and various pagodas. After lunch,
we took an electric car tour ("green" tour) through the markets. It’s funny how like stores congregate
together. We saw kitchen street, coffee
street, silk street, etc. We also
stopped in a large covered market with vast amounts of merchandise such as
Burberry scarves (real or imitation? who
knows), funny knitted hats, costume jewelry, belts, and many sundry items.
Then we split up.
Lenny, Marina and I headed back to the hotel for a lovely High Tea and a
rest. We checked Marina into the room
that she will share with Missy, who arrives this evening. This turned out to be a difficult task as
they had her incorrectly listed as Marina Dubimsky, and they simply did not
believe me when I explained that Marina Dubinsky and Marina Dubimsky were one
and the same.
We ate dinner at a place recommended in the NY Times a few
weeks ago. It's in a non-touristy
neighborhood … a tiny place whose theme was to be like the "old days"
with ration coupons and tin plates. The
food was delicious and unbelievably cheap.
We had a feast for the 7 of us for only $50 total.
-- Donna

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home